Thursday, November 15, 2007

me talk pretty online

i am not fond of webspeak.

i appreciate that internet slang saves time...but i have a beef. we use words like 'awesome' and 'fabulous' all the time in our everyday speech, and i am just as guilty of this as the next person. but how many things are truly awe-inspiring? i choose not to get up in arms about this, because these words and phrases are firmly entrenched in our language along with any number of colloquialisms.

yet, the thing that really bugs me: LOL. i can't stand LOL. you might ask why. because! because when i write LOL, i had better be laughing out loud. like...for real. i had better get a hearty guffaw out of whatever it follows. because otherwise, it is a useless phrase. and believe me, writing something stupid and then, writing LOL after it does NOT make it more funny. to the contrary, it makes it LESS funny...or maybe just distracts me...because suddenly, it reminds me of a 13 year-old girl in a chat room. (not that 13 year-old girls should ever be in chat rooms.)

example of unsolicited myspace message from random stranger: 'miss jenni, you seem like a trouble-maker. LOL.'

okay, so i'm not laughing...are YOU laughing? i mean, is that funny? i know they are trying to be cute and flirty...but all they've made me do is think of goofy, socially-inept guys glued to their keyboards AND 'hello kitty.' AND it prompts me to change my settings to private.

men should NEVER use this phrase. repeat. men should NEVER use this phrase.

smileys, on the other hand, are completely acceptable. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a funny quirk. LOL b/c I am really laughing at the irony. I'm just saying, "You knew this would happen right?".

You have a cool and interesting blog here and I'm glad I "met" you through Twitter.

-Solburn

Anonymous said...

Watch out for the evil monkey.

Patrick Talley said...

i read this blog and i thought it was AWSOME (LOL) and i ended up ROFLMAO....now on a more serious note....this text-speak is amusing to me...i like words...but sometimes i get confused by them...for example i think words should evoke feelings (not just the actual meaning but the sound)...to further the example i guess i would say that while i like words like lugubrious; i do wish it were a happy word as it sounds happy to me....perhaps it is the same with onamonapia---it should be spelled as it sounds, shouldn't it....(ok, ok os i stole the onamonapia line but i do like words and i do get a kick outta the text-language....i tend to end a text with something like osylaksut

(which obviously stands for ok see you later and keep smiling until then)...